One of our favorite take out foods is chicken tortilla soup from Max and Erma’s restaurant, we have tried tortilla soup at other places and its just never stacked up. Since I have been on vacation and had a bit a spare time on my hands, I decided to search the web for a recipe and try to make some myself. I found several recipes and after looking at ingredients and comments I decided to give this one a try from Robbie’s Recipes. I haven’t ever really tried copycat recipes so I had my doubts….but WOW the recipe was spot on and in my opinion tasted even better than the restaurant version. I did tweak the recipe a bit after reading comments saying it wasn’t thick enough and the critics in the house agreed it was the best chicken tortilla soup they have ever tasted. Enjoy!
The recipe below is a double batch which yields about a gallon of soup.
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup flour
- 48 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 24 oz Velveeta cheese product, cubed
- 2 lbs boneless chicken - cooked and shredded
- 2 10 oz cans Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chilies - we don't like large chunks of tomato so I diced these up a bit more.
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 6 large flour tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a 6 qt sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and stir until well blended - mixture will be thick.
- Slowly add chicken broth and whisk until well blended.
- Add cream and Velveeta and stir frequently until cheese is melted.
- Add tomatoes, chicken and spices and simmer on low heat for 15-20 min.
- While soup is simmering, cut tortillas into thin strips (about 1/4 in x 2 in)
- Fry tortilla strips in oil heated to 350 degrees until golden. They cook fast so be ready!
- Place strips on cooling rack to drain excess oil.
- Serve soup topped with tortilla strips and shredded cheese.
Looking for more yummy soup recipes? Check out these ones!