So if you are anything like me, you are going down your Christmas list realizing you still need a bunch of gifts and you don’t know what to do. I thought I would share with you this quick and easy candle holder idea in case you need to make a few last minute gifts this weekend! Its so easy and uses items you probably already have on hand, my kids really enjoy making these with me.
- One recycled glass jar – The one I used here was a salsa jar, it has a nice wide opening to make it easier to put the candle in
- Tissue paper – plain colors work best, I found this fun foiled paper at Walmart that turned out really nice
- Homemade glue mixture – mix 2 parts Elmer’s School Glue with 1 part water and stir! Works as good as anything you can buy in the store.
- Foam brush
- Glitter – if you want to add a little sparkle, add some glitter to your glue mixture, fine glitter works best
- Raffia or ribbon of your choice
- Prepare the tissue paper by cutting or tearing it into about 1/2 in pieces.
- Prepare your glue mixture in a container that you can reseal and save for your next project, add glitter and stir
- Using the foam brush apply a generous coat of the glue mixture onto the jar in a small area
- Place pieces of the torn tissue paper onto the glue making sure you over lap it a bit and cover all of the glass
- Once you have a section complete, using the foam brush apply a generous coat of the glue mixture on top of the paper to smooth out any bumps or edges that are loose.
- Repeat until the jar is completely covered
- Allow to dry over night then add ribbon of your choice around the neck to embellish.
If you make one of these I’d love to see it!
Merry Christmas and happy last minute gift preparing!!!