One of our favorite party snacks is Lil’ Smokies baked in Pillsbury Crescent rolls, they are really yummy and highly addicting! The downside, they are really fattening. As part of my new commitment to my health I am always looking for healthier alternatives to some of my favorite food items.
Hillshire Farm recently sent me samples of their new Turkey Lil’ Smokies and Turkey Smoked Sausage for my family to try out and I was pleasantly surprised! There was practically no grease when I cooked up the sausage and the kids devoured the Lil’ Smokies. Not only do they taste really great but the fat and calorie content is MUCH lower than the traditional products.
Here is the breakdown for a 5 link serving of Lil’ Smokies
Turkey Lil’ Smokies fat 4g calories 80
Regular Lil’ Smokies fat 14g calories 160
Big difference huh? I love food, I love to eat and that has been the hardest part of my Your Shape Challenge, however finding great products like this make it much easier to enjoy my favorite foods without all of the guilt.
Want to try them for yourself? Try one of these great recipes.
Turkey Lil’ Smokies in Peach BBQ Sauce
Makes 16 Servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
- 2 packages Hillshire Farm Turkey Lil’ Smokies
- 1 15 oz can of peaches in juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Place undrained peaches, vinegar, brown sugar,mustard, garlic, cinnamon, and ginger in blender and blend until smooth
- Open Lil’ Smokies and drain any liquid, place Lil’ Smokies and peach sauce in pan and bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes
- Pour mixture into a slow cooker, cover and heat on low for 30 – 40 minutes
Turkey Lil’ Smokies Bagel Dogs
Makes 18 servings (2 bagel dogs each serving)
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 11 min
- 1 package Hillshire Farm Turkey Lil’ Smokies
- 1 can refrigerated bread sticks
- 1 tablespoon poppy or sesame seeds
- Optional mustard or ketchup for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Unroll dough, separate at perforations creating 12 strips, cut each strip into 3 pieces
- Wrap one piece of dough around each Turkey Lil’ Smokie pressing the edge to seal
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, sprinkle with seeds
- Bake for 11 – 13 minutes until lightly browned
- Serve with ketchup or mustard
disclosure: I received free products and sponsorship to Disney Social Media Moms Conference from Sara Lee foods in return for this blog posting.